Saturday, September 18, 2010

Gabriel Garcia Marquez and some others

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez is probably the book I have re-read the most often, 4 times by now and I rarely read any book more than once when my to-read list is always so huge. This book also has my favourite last line I've ever read, but I'll avoid including a major spoiler and just write my other favourite passages from it:

Years later, when he tried to remember what the maiden idealized by the alchemy of poetry really was like, he could not distinguish her from the heartrending twilights of those times. Even when he observed her, unseen, during those days of longing when he waited for a reply to his first letter, he saw her transfigured in the afternoon shimmer of two o'clock in a shower of blossoms from the almond trees where it was always April regardless of the season of the year.

One night, without any warning, Fermina Daza awoke with a start: a solo violin was serenading her, playing the same waltz over and over again. She shuddered when she realized that each note was an act of thanksgiving for the petals from her herbarium, for the moments stolen from arithmetic to write her letters, for her fear of examinations when she was thinking more about him than about the natural sciences.

To him she seemed so beautiful, so seductive, so different from ordinary people, that he could not understand why no one was as disturbed as he by the clicking of her heels on the paving stones, why no one else's heart was wild with the breeze stirred by the sighs of her veils, why everyone did not go mad with the movements of her braid, the flight of her hands, the gold of her laughter.

The Captain looked at Fermina Daza and saw on her eyelashes the first glimmer of wintry frost. Then he looked at Florentino Ariza, his invincible power, his intrepid love, and he was overwhelmed by the belated suspicion that it is life, more than death, that has no limits.

---

"There are no permanent friends in international relations, only permanent interests." Omaru Sisay, in the documentary The Trouble with Pirates.

---

(While talking about the amount of money an English footballer paid for sex)
"£1200?! For that price I would expect a prostitute to bury herself after I've killed her." Jack Whitehall, on an episode of 8 out of 10 Cats.

---

"I'm not a fan of venison, I have a thing about not eating baby animals, so I'm glad she put lamb on the menu as another option." A contestant on an episode of Come Dine with Me, who was not trying to be funny.

---

(While talking about people who teach the theory of evolution)
"[They are] either ignorant or deliberately suppressing the known scientific facts." A comment by Ireland's Minister for Science Conor Lenihan this week, showing just how much he knows about science. You really could not make this shit up.

3 comments:

  1. Love in the Time of Cholera is one of my favorite books :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, this made me smile...i have to read this book some day :) this quote: "There are no permanent friends in international relations, only permanent interests." woke me up, like deja vu...I had just read that somewhere else :s but it is indeed a good quote :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always you have great taste Heather :)

    Synneve, that's a funny coincidence! If you know the name of whoever wrote or said that originally you can tell me so I can add it here, the guy in that documentary didn't say he was quoting anyone else but maybe he was.

    ReplyDelete