Monday, April 4, 2011

The Little Prince

Some of my favourite lines and passages from The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupery:

Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them.

---

If I have told you these details about the asteroid, and made a note of its number for you, it is on account of the grown-ups and their ways. When you tell them that you have made a new friend, they never ask you any questions about essential matters. They never say to you, "What does his voice sound like? What games does he love best? Does he collect butterflies?" Instead, they demand: "How old is he? How many brothers has he? How much does he weigh? How much money does his father make?" Only from these figures do they think they have learned anything about him.

---

If someone loves a flower, of which just one single blossom grows in all the millions and millions of stars, it is enough to make him happy just to look at the stars. He can say to himself, 'Somewhere, my flower is there...'

---

It is much more difficult to judge oneself than to judge others. If you succeed in judging yourself rightly, then you are indeed a man of true wisdom.

---

"Where are the men?" the little prince at last took up the conversation again. "It is a little lonely in the desert..."

"It is also lonely among men," the snake said.

---

"My life is very monotonous," the fox said. "I hunt chickens; men hunt me. All the chickens are just alike, and all the men are just alike. And, in consequence, I am a little bored. But if you tame me, it will be as if the sun came to shine on my life. I shall know the sound of a step that will be different from all the others. Other steps send me hurrying back underneath the ground. Yours will call me, like music, out of my burrow. And then look: you see the grain-fields down yonder? I do not eat bread. Wheat is of no use to me. The wheat fields have nothing to say to me. And that is sad. But you have hair that is the color of gold. Think how wonderful that will be when you have tamed me! The grain, which is also golden, will bring me back the thought of you. And I shall love to listen to the wind in the wheat..."

---

To be sure, an ordinary passerby would think that my rose looked just like you--the rose that belongs to me. But in herself alone she is more important than all the hundreds of you other roses: because it is she that I have watered; because it is she that I have put under the glass globe; because it is she that I have sheltered behind the screen; because it is for her that I have killed the caterpillars (except the two or three that we saved to become butterflies); because it is she that I have listened to, when she grumbled, or boasted, or ever sometimes when she said nothing. Because she is my rose.

---

"Goodbye," said the fox. "And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

"What is essential is invisible to the eye," the little prince repeated, so that he would be sure to remember.

"It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important."

"It is the time I have wasted for my rose--" said the little prince, so that he would be sure to remember.

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. You are responsible for your rose..."

"I am responsible for my rose," the little prince repeated, so that he would be sure to remember.

---

"The desert is beautiful," the little prince added.

And that was true. I have always loved the desert. One sits down on a desert sand dune, sees nothing, hears nothing. Yet through the silence something throbs, and gleams...

"What makes the desert beautiful," said the little prince, "is that somewhere it hides a well..."

I was astonished by a sudden understanding of that mysterious radiation of the sands. When I was a little boy I lived in an old house, and legend told us that a treasure was buried there. To be sure, no one had ever known how to find it; perhaps no one had ever even looked for it. But it cast an enchantment over that house. My home was hiding a secret in the depths of its heart...

"Yes," I said to the little prince. "The house, the stars, the desert--what gives them their beauty is something that is invisible!"

4 comments:

  1. Did you have time to re-read it again or did you just look up your favorites? I'm sure you already know that I love all of these :)

    I think you have most of my favorites on here, but I also love this one: "The stars are beautiful because of a flower you don't see."

    and this one: "For instance, if you come at four in the afternoon, I'll begin to be happy by three. The closer it gets to four, the happier I'll feel. By four I'll be excited and worried; I'll discover what it costs to be happy! But if you come at any old time, I'll never know when I should prepare my heart... There must be rites."

    Between you and I picking our favorite quotes I'm sure we'd probably end up quoting the entire book eventually haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm :D steve! you made my day ^^ oh and :p it's not kind of you to post it now, because now I want to read it again, and I just don't have any time to read :p. You are evil :D

    Well guess you already know which ones of this are my favorites :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. ow Steven! I came across this quote today... and it just made me think of you, so I couldn't wait to share it with you!

    There is pleasure in the pathless woods;
    There is rapture on the lonely shore;
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more.

    — Lord Byron

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I forgot that first one you mentioned Heather! That's one of my favourites too. I just speed-read it again looking for my favourite parts after you reminded me of it :) I wish I had time to sit down some night and read it all properly again, I'll have to do that some night when I'm not so busy.

    I'm glad you enjoyed being reminded of it too Kim :) And as you see from the first paragraph I'm being evil on myself too by making me want to read it properly when I don't have time either :P
    That Byron verse is beautiful too! :) Thanks for adding that.

    ReplyDelete