Tuesday, December 14, 2010

In Bruges, Pablo Neruda and some others

Some of my favourite lines from In Bruges. I watched it again recently, it's got to be one of the best scripts ever.

Ken: Coming up?
Ray: What's up there?
Ken: The view.
Ray: The view of what? The view of down here? I can see that down here.
Ken: Ray, you are about the worst tourist in the whole world.
Ray: Ken, I grew up in Dublin. I love Dublin. If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me. But I didn't, so it doesn't.

Ken: Your girlfriend's very pretty.
Jimmy: She's ain't my girlfriend. She's a prostitute I just picked up.
Ken: I wasn't aware that there were any prostitutes in Bruges.
Jimmy: You just have to look in the right places... brothels are good.
Ken: Well, you've picked up a very pretty prostitute.
Jimmy: Thank you.

Ray: What are they doing over there? They're filming something. They're filming midgets!

Ken: We shall strike a balance between culture and fun.
Ray: Somehow I believe, Ken, that the balance shall tip in the favor of culture, like a big fat fucking retarded black girl on a see-saw opposite a dwarf.

Ray: I saw your midget today. Little prick didn't even say hello.
Chloe: Well, he's on a lot of ketamine.
Ray: What's that?
Chloe: Um, horse tranquilizer.
Ray: Horse tranquilizer? Where'd he get that?
Chloe: I sold it to him.
Ray: You can't sell horse tranquilizers to a midget!

Ray: A great day this has turned out to be. I'm suicidal, my mate tries to kill me, my gun gets nicked and we're still in fuckin' Bruges!

---

If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.
— Albert Einstein

---

I want to do with you what spring does with the cherry trees.
- Pablo Neruda

---

If the only prayer you say in your entire life is "thank you", that is enough.
- Eckhart von Hochheim

---

I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.
— Jane Austen

---

Let me tell you what blasphemy is. It's the idea there's a superior being who can make the mountains, the oceans and the skies, but who still gets upset about something I said. He's an all-powerful being, he's just got self-esteem issues.
- Reginald D Hunter

3 comments:

  1. The Paglo Neruda quote is pretty too. I've never heard it before.

    And Jane Austen of course has always been my favorite :) Here's some of my other favorite quotes from her:

    "I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library."

    "You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope...I have loved none but you."

    "Perhaps it it our imperfections that make us so perfect for one another!"

    "If I could but know his heart, everything would become easy."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Pablo Neruda!!! :D

    "Surely I no longer love her, but maybe I love her.
    Love is so short; memories last so long."

    "I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
    I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
    so I love you because I know no other way"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the quotes Kim and Heather :) Those are two writers who I want to read a lot more of in the future.

    ReplyDelete